Why You Spend Too Much Money And How To Stop
- What our neighbors buy affects what we buy, as does our names, the weather, and the type of floor a store has.
- Which products are next to each other on the shelf influences what we buy. In fact, one product can catch “cooties” from another.
- Attractive salespeople mess with our heads too, especially if they touch the products. Truth is, we’re more satisfied after buying from good-looking people.
- Stores use lots of tricks to get us to spend. Limits on how many items we can purchase make us purchase more. So does stocking fewer items.
- The word sale makes us less likely to comparison shop and yellow tags fool us into thinking we’re getting a discount even when we’re not.
- Retail therapy does work, but being happy can end up sapping our self-control in the face of tempting sales.
- Materialism may be connected to unhappiness but buying generic products can reduce your self-esteem.
- Learn the key elements of influence, negotiation and persuasion.
Join over 190,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.