10 things you should be utterly terrified of… or not.
Fear is pretty fascinating:
- Fear can increase romantic attraction. Women who are afraid of crime prefer to date big, aggressive men.
- Talking about horror movies after you see them can reduce nightmares.
- People believe in conspiracy theories because they provide a sense of control.
- If you are afraid of voodoo curses then, yes, they can kill you.
- Afraid you’re going to lose your job? Then you should be afraid.
- Yes, fear that big, drunk guy at the bar.
- “Sore loser” is nothing to be worried about. Fear “sore winners.”
- Parents are afraid of all kinds of dumb things. (Nobody is putting razor blades in your kids’ candy, alright?) What they should be afraid of is that little Jimmy is fearless because that means they better start saving bail money.
- Stop being afraid of what other people think about you. Because they’re not thinking about you.
- Be not afraid: we overestimate how bad regret will be.
Join 45K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
Posted On: May 30, 2012