What have researchers learned about attraction from looking at the website HOT OR NOT?
Here are some of the things researchers have been able to discover using HOTorNOT.com’s magical numbers:
• Men are 240 percent more likely to accept a date offer than women.
• With each one-point gain in hotness (on a scale of 1 to 10), a person’s chances of being accepted for a date increase by 130 percent.
• People who are themselves less attractive tend to undervalue attractiveness in others, preferring to instead prioritize personality traits like kindness and sense of humor.
• As you’d expect, people are more likely to accept date offers from people with hotness scores greater than their own. But when the person requesting a date is more than four points hotter than the person being propositioned, the likelihood of acceptance tapers. Is this due to intimidation?
• Members’ own attractiveness had no influence on how hot they perceived other members. In other words, less attractive members didn’t delude themselves about their dates’ attractiveness.
Join 25K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.