What’s your college major worth?
Excellent study here on the economic value of college majors. Some highlights:
-Earnings variation between majors is great – highest (Petroleum Engineering, $120,000), lowest (Counseling Psychology, at $29,000), 314% difference in earnings
-Highest-earning majors are in Engineering and Computer Science, earning $75,000 and $70,000, producing substantial earnings over an average 40-year career
-Lowest-earning majors are in Education and Psychology and Social Work, earning $42,000
-Humanities and Liberal Arts majors make $47,000 at the median
Top 10 majors by earnings
1. PETROLEUM ENGINEERING
2. PHARMACY, PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES, AND ADMINISTRATION
3. MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE
4. AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
5. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
6. ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
7. NAVAL ARCHITECTURE AND MARINE ENGINEERING
8. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
9. METALLURGICAL ENGINEERING
10. MINING AND MINERAL ENGINEERING
At the median, these majors earn between $80,000 and $120,000.
Bottom 10 majors by earnings
1. DRAMA AND THEATER ARTS
2. STUDIO ARTS
3. COMMUNICATION DISORDERS, SCIENCES, AND SERVICES
4. VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS
5. HEALTH AND MEDICAL PREPARATORY PROGRAMS
6. SOCIAL WORK
7. THEOLOGY AND RELIGIOUS VOCATIONS
8. HUMAN SERVICES AND COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION
9. EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
10. COUNSELING PSYCHOLOGY
At the median, these majors earn between $29,000 and $40,000.
Join 45K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.