What’s the trick to self control, better habits and being a good person?
Little reminders can dramatically improve our lives:
- Toys and other reminders of childhood influenced people to act more ethically.
- Mentioning the Ten Commandments before a tempting situation reduced cheating.
- Guilting people works because reminding others of their transgressions causes them to improve their behavior. It also makes them more likely to accept apologies and forgive.
- Reminding employees how their jobs are important increases motivation.
- When reminders surround you they become part of your context and manipulating context is the most powerful way to improve your behavior.
Join 45K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
Posted On: July 7, 2012