The average Facebook user has 229 friends.
Pew Research compiled its research on Facebook and turned up some interesting insights. A few things that caught my eye:
- 80% of friend requests are accepted.
- 22% of Facebook friends are from high school.
- Women average 21 updates to their Facebook status per month while men average 6.
- Women and younger users tend to unfriend more than others.
• Facebook users are more trusting than others. A Facebook user who uses the site multiple times per day is 43% more likely than other internet users and more than three times as likely as non-internet users to feel that most people can be trusted.
• Facebook users have more close relationships. Someone who uses Facebook several times per day averages 9% more close, core ties in their overall social network compared with other internet users.
• Facebook users are much more politically engaged. Compared with other internet users, and users of other social networking platforms, a Facebook user who uses the site multiple times per day was an additional two and half times more likely to attend a political rally or meeting, 57% more likely to persuade someone on their vote, and 43% more likely to have said they would vote.
• Facebook users get more social support. A Facebook user who uses the site multiple times per day receives more emotional support and companionship offline (such as having someone help you when you are sick in bed.)
Join 45K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.