- Think about something you love. Imagine how you would feel if you lost it. Now be happy you have it. Research shows savoring has powerful affects on well-being.
- Take a nap. Studies show we can process negative thoughts just fine when we’re exhausted — but not the happy ones.
- Smile. Happy or not, just smile. Studies show it can trick your mind into thinking you feel good. And it has plenty of other benefits.
- Hug someone. Corny? Maybe. But it works.
- Share the best event of your day with your romantic partner and have them do the same.
- Work on a hard problem that makes you think. Studies show if your brain is dedicated to a mental chore, it can’t bother you as much with distressing emotions.
- Send someone a thank you email. Research shows gratitude is one of the most powerful keys to happiness.
Join 25K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.