What 5 things can you do to increase happiness?
Via Martin Seligman’s book, Authentic Happiness.
Here’s what to consider doing:
- Live in a wealthy democracy, not in an impoverished dictatorship (a strong effect)
- Get married (a robust effect, but perhaps not causal)
- Avoid negative events and negative emotion (only a moderate effect)
- Acquire a rich social network (a robust effect, but perhaps not causal)
- Get religion (a moderate effect)
And here’s what you don’t need to worry about:
- Make more money (money has little or no effect once you are comfortable enough to buy this book, and more materialistic people are less happy)
- Stay healthy (subjective health, not objective health matters)
- Get as much education as possible (no effect)
- Change your race or move to a sunnier climate (no effect)
Join 25K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
Posted On: April 27, 2012