Does country music make you want to kill yourself?
It’s very likely:
“The results of a multiple regression analysis of 49 metropolitan areas show that the greater the airtime devoted to country music, the greater the white suicide rate.”
It’s those people who like opera that you need to look out for.
What else do we know about suicide?
- Ironically, the happiest places have the highest suicide rates. Living at a high altitude and smoking are risk factors for suicide. Around presidential elections, suicides decline.
- Men and women commit suicide differently.
- Fewer people kill themselves leading up to Christmas, but there’s an increase after the holiday is over.
- Suicidal people write differently.
- Many suicide bombers didn’t need a terrorist cause — they were legitimately suicidal beforehand.
Join 45K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.