What 5 things help you achieve your goals? What 5 things seem to help but actually hold you back?
In his very interesting book 59 Seconds: Change Your Life in Under a Minute Richard Wiseman presents a quiz. Which of the activities below help you achieve your goals and which don’t?
- Make a step-by-step plan.
- Motivate myself by focusing on someone that I admire for achieving so much (e.g., a celebrity role model or great leader).
- Tell other people about my goal.
- Think about the bad things that will happen if I don’t achieve my goal.
- Think about the good things that will happen if I achieve my goal.
- Try to suppress unhelpful thoughts (e.g., avoid thinking about eating unhealthy food or smoking).
- Reward myself for making progress toward my goal.
- Rely on willpower.
- Record my progress (e.g., in a journal or on a chart).
- Fantasize about how great my life will be when I achieve my goal.
Ready for the answer?
All the odd numbered activities help. All the even numbered items hurt.
Digests of posts: